One more reason to live in Chicago…
Fast Company magazine has named Chicago and London its 2008 cities of the year.
Fun facts about Chicago:
- 29% of downtown Chicago residents have graduate degrees — that's 3.3 times the U.S. average.
- 30 Fortune 500 companies have headquarters in metro Chicago, second only to New York.
- If you agree to build green, you get an expedited building permit — 3 weeks instead of the usual six months.
- The green roof on top of City Hall has more than 100 plant species and produced 500 pounds worth of honey last year.
- In 2007, Chicago ranked 7th in estimated population growth — the only non-Sunbelt city to crack the top 10.
Or as author Alex Kotlowitz writes "The real Chicago isn't so easy to keep up with. It's constantly reinventing itself. Jumpy. Agitated. Impatient. It's as if the place is trembling. Move aside. Dont' linger. And if you're going to dawdle, get out of the way. But what any Chicagoan will also tell you is that the past is very much present. It doesn't go away. It shouldn't. In fact, that's Chicago's lure and its beauty: its ability to take what was and figure out what could be."
Can you say the same about where you live?